Wednesday, August 26, 2009

CEDAW - the Convention for the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women

Today I called my Senator's office -- that of Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, one of only 17 women in the US Senate. I was stunned to learn that the staffer who answered the phone had never heard of CEDAW - the Convention for the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women - whether the acronym or the full title. He was sure the Senator would support something having to do with women, and knew that it was Women's Equality Day (must have received phone calls about that???). This made me wonder how many constituents had called the office in support of CEDAW, and whether I had happened to chance upon someone ignorant on the issue.

I explained the Treaty to the staffer, gave him my name, address and email address at his request, and hope to hear from the Senator sometime soon. This underlines how very important it is for all of us to make our voices known where policy is made, as well as among the general public.

A colleague at the Queens Chapter of the United Nations Association of the USA has created a video about CEDAW and uploaded it onto YouTube. (Thanks, Arnold!) You can view it here.

No comments: